Friday, March 18, 2005

Why Romance?

It's a question a lot of us romance writers get when we tell people about our work. Why are you writing those trashy novels? It's all about sex, sex, sex.

Well, no. It's not. At least, not entirely.

So if you wonder why romance writers choose that particular genre, check out Diana Duncan's answer. It's remarkably personal to her life. At the same time, there's a passage that I think is universal to romance writers:

I hope that through my stories, I can help ease these women’s sufferings a little. I hope they forget their own troubled lives and take off on an adventure with my characters. That they escape from the real world.

And when they finish, when they reach "the end," and close the covers of the book, they go back to their own lives with a little more peace in their hearts.

Refreshed.

Uplifted.

Better able to cope.

Because in romance novels, good always defeats evil. Tomorrow is a better day. Relationships are mended, hope is restored, love triumphs over all.


As they say, read the whole thing.

No comments: