Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Throw Me Somethin', Mister!

You just can't keep a party city down.

I've been to Mardi Gras a few times, mostly in Mobile, Alabama, home to the oldest Mardi Gras celebration in the U.S. Mardi Gras in Mobile is more laid-back and somewhat more family-friendly than the bacchanal in New Orleans. My favorite of the Mobile parades is the raucous and crazy Joe Cain Day parade, which is sort of the equivalent to a GDI in collegiate Greek society. It lacks the focus and discipline of the Krewe parades, but makes up for it in sheer creativity and enthusiasm.

I have been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, once. Since I don't drink, smoke, toke, or bare my breasts for beads, it wasn't exactly a fun experience. However, I've visited New Orleans at other times of the year and loved it. I'm glad to see the old city slowly coming back to life. May she live to throw down for centuries to come.

No comments: