Wednesday, August 03, 2005

THE CALL

I can't believe I'm finally writing those words.

Harlequin Intrigue has made an offer for my 2004 Golden Heart finalist, WHAT THE HEART SEES.

I'm sneaking this in at work, and I promise I'll have more details later!

UPDATE:

Okay, I'm home now, I've had my dinner (what I could eat before my stomach said it was too excited for shrimp and fried green tomatoes at the moment, thankyouverymuch), and I'll see if I can remember anything from the call.

First, the call didn't come as a complete surprise. The thing that came as a complete surprise was the e-mail from Allison Lyons, telling me the phone number she had wasn't working and could I e-mail her an alternate number, pretty please?

After I freaked out for a second, I quickly jotted back an e-mail with my work number and my other home number (the business line I'd gotten a few months ago went out a couple of days ago and I haven't had time to get it fixed, wouldn't you know???) So I send the e-mail and begin a major freak out. I emailed my friend Kris Robinette (SIM and Next author) to tell her I'd gotten the e-mail and oh my gosh, what did it mean??? I also IMed my critique buddy Jenn, who lives in New Jersey, and asked her, oh my gosh, what does it mean??? Unfortunately, she was apparently away from the keyboard because she didn't reply, which was very frustrating, let me tell you!

About fifteen minutes later, the phone rings. My co-worker buzzes through and says, "It's Allison Lyons for you." So I take a deep breath, answer, and pretty much the rest of it is a blur, although I remember the words "revisions." (Of course). I was too frazzled to go over the details with her this afternoon, and she's going out of town or something and won't be back until Monday, so she's going to call me Monday to go over everything in more details.

At that point, I go back to the IM (where Jenn still hasn't responded) and type:

OH. MY. GOD.

Allison Lyons at Intrigue wants to buy WHAT THE HEART
SEES!!!!!
Fortunately for my blood pressure, she IMed me back in a few seconds and we had a cyberscream of joy together. Then she had to leave work (she's in New Jersey and an hour ahead) so I checked e-mail to see if Kris had responded. She had, with the subject line: COLD CHILLS. She gave me her cell phone number (which was good, because she's moved and I wasn't sure I had her current number). So I called her and we had a big happy throwdown party on the phone for a few minutes. Then she had to go and I had to try to track down my mother, who took my nieces to Gulf Shores for the next four days.

I finally got a hold of her when I got home from work, and she and I had a nice tandem scream before she had to go because they were heading to the beach or something.

So, that's what my afternoon was like. ;)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

But we want details NOW!! Hurry, hurry, and congrats again!!

MJFredrick said...

WHEEEE!!! I'm so thrilled for you, Paula!!!!

Paula said...

Thank you all so much! I'm vacillating between shrieking "Intrigue wants to buy my book!" at the top of my lungs and sitting in a haze, wondering if I've dreamed it all. Check out the update on this same entry when it's done.

Paula

Unknown said...

You didn't dream it - if you did all the cyber screaming going on would wake you!

If they offered to buy BEFORE revisions were finished, they can't be too major. CONGRATS!!

-bayleysmama

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Paula ... you really, really, deserve this ... you've worked hard, paid your dues, suffered through so much, but in the end, persistence and talent wedded to get you your dream come true!

It can happen! It can happen! And for Paula, it DID!!!!

Cynthia (K8sMom from Subcare)

Anonymous said...

Yay Paula!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Paula!!!!! Yay! I'm so happy for you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Paula!!!!!
I'm just so happy for you :) This is fantastic news adn may this be the first of many for you, as I'm SURE it will be :) Raising a cyber toast to you right now!

After reading about your travails on subcare for I don't know how long, this just made my morning :)

Kristen Painter said...

WOOHOO!!!!

I'm so happy for you!!!

Paula said...

Thanks, everybody.

I'm still sort of in freak-out mode, but I'm being a good girl and going over all the RWA information about "what to do when you get the call" so I'll be ready for Allison's call on Monday.

Paula

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shesawriter said...

Paula!!!!

Way to go, sweetie! I'm SO happy for you. Congrats. Doing the snoopy dance all around.

Love and hugs,

Tanya

Shesawriter said...

Almost forgot! DETAILS!!!! :-)

Tanya

Jill Monroe said...

Paula Paula Paula!!!!!

AHHHHHHHH - I'm cyber screaming, too!

That's so awesome. Congrats. I loved this story!

Anonymous said...

WTG, Paula. I just knew it was a matter of time. I'm lifting a glass of sparkly in your honor.

Anne-Marie

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you.