Ever written one of those books where you throw in everything you've ever loved about a romance or mystery or both? I think the book I'm working on now, DEADLY ILLUSION, is turning out to be one of those for me. Here are just a few of my favorite story elements that I've managed to weave into this story so far:
1) International intrigue
2) Paranormal gifts
3) Rough, sarcastic bad boy hero with a vulnerable heart
4) Troubled heroine with a spine of steel and a big heart
5) A dangerous, enigmatic trickster character whose actions stir the plot
6) A shadow couple whose love shows the hero and heroine that the obstacles between them don't have to be insurmountable
7) A lush, exotic setting
8) The hero getting beat up and the heroine nursing him
9) Lots of snarky dialogue
10) A mysterious secret society whose motives are unclear
11) Alphabet soup (CIA, DSS, MSG, etc)
12) Did I mention the snarky dialogue?
I have no idea how this book will hold together when it's done, but it sure has been fun to write.