Thursday, March 09, 2006

To Agent or not to Agent

I recently turned down an offer of agent representation, largely because I don't see myself writing anything outside of category for the next three or four years. Frankly, with H/S being the only game in town for category length novels, and with their contracts offering very little wiggle room for negotiating terms, I don't see the point of handing an agent 15% to do what I can do myself.

My five year plan includes writing enough category books to build a name and reputation for myself. I think my voice works well for Harlequin Intrigue, my preferred line, and I think I have plenty of category length stories in me. I like reading category and writing category, so it all works out.

However, I know that some day, even if I'm still writing category, I'm going to need an agent to take me to the next step in my writing career. I just wonder--when will I know it's time to take the agent step? Was I wrong to turn down the agent who was willing to represent me? I have one more submission out there, under consideration with an even bigger agent. What if that agent wants to represent me? Should I consider signing with her, even though I don't think I'm going to be writing a single title in the next couple of years?

Gah, I hate making decisions, sometimes.

No comments: