Thursday, April 27, 2006

Where Have All the Blond Hotties Gone?

I'm trying to cast the hero of my new WIP, and I thought I'd go with a blondish hero for a change. But I'm having a hard time casting him. I think the problem is that while I find some blond guys cute, I don't always consider them romantic suspense hero material.

Take Dierks Bentley.

Cute, cute, cute, and sexy in a boyish way. Boyish being the operative word. He's perfect as a beta hero in a sweet romance, but I'm just not buying him as an action hero.

How about Jensen Ackles?

Sexy, pouty, pretty. Too pretty. And a little too young.

I've always had a soft spot for Sean Bean. Rugged, British, sexy.

But he's edging toward too old for a category romance hero, and definitely too old for my current hero.

What about Leslie Wainger's beloved Viggo Mortensen?

Kinda hot as Aragorn. Not so hot as Viggo. Don't tell Leslie I said that.

I know, I know! David Wenham.

Sexy as Faramir. Freckly and dorky as David.

And while I'd say Kiefer Sutherland's definitely hero material...


...he's already cast in my WIP as the ruthless CIA spymaster who will manipulate several couples over the course of my upcoming series before he meets his own love match.

So tell me. What blond hotties am I forgetting?

8 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Mmmmm, there were some good ones there, Paula. I think my favorites were Jensen, David and my personal fav, Viggo. Don't forget about the blonde elf Legolas. He was my favorite.
But for suspense, Viggo gets my vote. Yummy pictures.
Oh, I used my Amazon gc today and got Forbidden Territory and another romance by one of the Romance Divas, Tawny Taylor. Thank you so much Paula. I was out of stuff to read and no real justification for buying more. You rock.

Anonymous said...

Josh Holloway. (Sawyer on Lost.)

Paula said...

Ooo, Josh is a good choice. And he might even work as the hero of this book, because I'm going for a guy who's sort of beach bumming it after he lost his job with the DSS after a deadly incident in a foreign embassy. Bitter and cynical, he's living off his trust fund (daddy's a rich politician type) until he stumbles onto the hero and the mystery she's become embroiled in. When he realizes that the villain of the piece may be connected to the debacle that lost him his own job, he wants in on the action. (And falling for the girl doesn't hurt, either).

Josh could definitely work! However, I'm still open to other suggestions.

Jill Monroe said...

VERY nice. Gotta love Kiefer!

And I love your idea - sounds awesome and a definite autobuy!

MJFredrick said...

I love Kiefer, too, but Sawyer would be my choice.

Alex Adams said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Viggo is hotter as Aragorn than as himself.

Sawyer is a great choice--mega hot but not a pretty boy.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, here's a much better pic of Jensen! I LOOOOOOVE Supernatural. And Jensen's mouth...nevah mind... (said the 49 y.o. mother of a 24 y.o. son. Eeeeeeep! *eg*)

http://thewb.warnerbros.com/web/show_bio.jsp?id=SN-B-JAckles

Carla, who was checkin' out Lyn Cash's blog buddies - you don't know me from the proverbial hole-in-the-wall. ; )

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, my current infatuation is with David Wenham. But isn't it odd how different a guy can look when he has long hair and is has that "historical grungy" look?