Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Traditions: Handel's Messiah

For me, it's just not Christmas until I've listened to at least some of Handel's Messiah.

Everyone knows the Hallelujah Chorus, of course, but I have other favorites:

Glory to God:



For Unto Us a Child is Born:



Ev'ry Valley Shall Be Exalted:



And, yeah, okay, it just wouldn't be Christmas without the Hallelujah Chorus:



One of my favorite live performances was at Samford University, my alma mater, several years ago. The University Chorale, the A Cappella Choir and a group of alumni who'd been in the various university choirs joined together to present Messiah. It was enthralling.

Enjoy the music!

2 comments:

Kea said...

If you haven't ever listened to Handel's Messiah: A Soulful Celebration, I really recommend it. Handel interpreted a whole new way, though the CD is not new. It took a while to grow on me, as there's even a rap version of one of the pieces. But the Hallelujah chorus? Oh, wow!!! Turn the volume up full blast, shake the walls, and get up and MOVE! It's awesome. Absolutely fabulous.

Paula said...

Kea, I have that CD. I love it! My favorites on that album are Every Valley Shall Be Exalted, Glory to God and, of course, the Hallelujah Chorus.