Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Top 5 Favorite Holiday Foods

I've blogged before about my Weight Watchers journey, haven't I? Why yes, yes I have. (By the way, I've lost 115 pounds since last February).

So you can say I'm a fan of food.

And there's just something about Christmas food, isn't there? Some of it isn't even that good (coughfruitcakecough), but still, it flies off the grocery store shelves anyway.

So, in no particular order, here are my Top 5 Favorite Christmas Foods:

1. Candy Canes

You're no longer limited to the old red and white peppermint sticks. Now, candymakers offer the holiday staple in all sorts of flavors and colors. Yum.

2. Swiss Colony's Cheese Spreads
Back when I was still eating this kind of food, one of my favorite times of year was when someone would send a Swiss Colony basket full of these delicious flavored cheese spreads. Smoked Cheddar was a personal favorite.
3. Cornbread Dressing


Cornbread, onions, celery, sage, eggs, chicken broth and bits of turkey, baked to a golden brown. What's not to love?
4. Hickory Farms Gift Baskets


Summer Sausage! Smoked Gouda! Little Jelly Jars! It's a smorgasbord of holiday cheer.
5. Danish Butter Cookies


Even the crappy brands are worth a nibble. But the Royal Dansk brand? Yum, yum, yum.
That's a weird set of holiday foods, isn't it? But there you have it. Those are my favorites.
What are yours? Leave your list in the comments, and I'll draw from the list of commenters for a copy of Secluded with the Cowboy by Cassie Miles.

4 comments:

Kea said...

Wow, congratulations on losing 115 pounds! Boy, I can't even find the motivation to lose the 30 extra pounds I'm carrying around. Probably because I love sweets too much. ;-)

Favourite holiday foods?

Definitely the stuffing for the turkey.

Mincemeat tarts (Mom's especially).

Home-made cranberry sauce. So easy to make and ever so much better than canned.

Pumpkin pie, my absolute all-time favourite pie.

Oh, and cranberry crunch, which is just a lot of cranberry sauce sandwiched between layers of topping (oatmeal, butter, sugar) and baked, served with whipped cream. Mmm, yum.

Dark chocolate covered anything. Okay, not something gross like bugs. Dark chocolate covered cookies, candy.... Dark chocolate makes almost anything better. LOL.

Yeah, about those 30 pounds....

Linda Henderson said...

Good for you on the weight loss. Wish I could be that dedicated. My favorite holiday foods are pumpkin pie, CHEESECAKE, cookies, turtles (my daughters usually get me a box), stuffing, broccoli casserole, and potato salad. Yes we are one of those families that has deviled eggs and potato salad in the winter.

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow - I'm impressed. That takes some serious commitment!

My faves are gingerbread cookies & toffee (family secret recipe)

Paula said...

Y'all are making me so hungry!

Kea, would you believe I've never had mincemeat pie? I kind of know what it is, I think, but it's just not served down here that much.

Linda, we do potato salad and deviled eggs any time of year, too! Love them both. On the potato salad topic, I saw Gina Neely (Down Home with the Neelys on Food Network) make a sweet potato salad that looked really interesting, if you like sweet potatoes. (I do--although I like them more savory than sweet). I'm going to have to try that recipe.

Secret family recipe for toffee, Jemi? You can't just tease us like that and not drop any hints.